Prairie burning to take place in West Des Moines
Over the next six months, the City of West Des Moines Public Services Department will be conducting prescribed prairie burns on City-owned property in the following areas:
• Brookview Park, 400 81st Street
• Jordan Creek Trail, Railroad Avenue at First Street to 6000 EP True Parkway
• Raccoon River Park, 2500 Grand Ave
• Valley View Park, 255 88th Street
• WDM Fire Station #18, 5025 Grand Ave
• WDM Police Station Complex, 250 Mills Civic Parkway
Parks Maintenance Supervisor Brian Fowler said the burning of prairie areas enhances the native vegetation that currently exists.
“Fire will stimulate the growth of native species, such as Big Bluestem, Compass Plant and Butterfly Milkweed, as well as other pollinator species, and it stunts or eliminates weeds,” he said. Although the burned areas will appear bare and blackened at first, Fowler said they will produce new growth and vigor in the spring.
Since safety is a top priority, prescribed burns will occur as weather and wind conditions allow. West Des Moines emergency services will be notified prior to burning. Residents with questions should contact the Public Services Department at 222-3450 for more information.