West Des Moines Police Conduct Tobacco Compliance Checks
For Further Information Contact
West Des Moines Police Conduct Tobacco Compliance Checks Officers of the West Des Moines Police Department conducted five second round checks for those businesses which were found to be non-compliant in January Tobacco Compliance Checks.
One business was found non-compliant for the second time this year. That business was Hy-Vee Food Store at 1725 Jordan Creek Parkway. This incident is documented under West Des Moines Police Department case 17-01651.
Penalties for the employee of tobacco retailer:
• 1st Offense - $100.00
• 2nd Offense - $250.00
• 3rd or greater Offense - $500.00
Civil Penalties for the tobacco retailer:
• 1st Offense – $300.00 or 14 day license suspension
• 2nd Offense (within 2 years) - $1,500.00 or 30 day license suspension
• 3rd Offense (within 3 years) - $1,500.00 and 30 day license suspension
• 4th Offense (within 3 years) - $1,500.00 and 60 day license suspension
• 5th Offense (within 4 years) – License revocation
*A criminal charge is merely an accusation and a defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.