The City of West Des Moines has been recognized as a Tree City USA by the National Arbor Day Foundation every year since 1991 and has received the Growth Award seven times.
The four standards that must be met in order to become a Tree City USA are:
1. A tree board or department
2. A tree care ordinance
3. A community forestry program with an annual budget of at least $2 per capita
4. An Arbor Day observance and proclamation
The standards that must be met in order to receive a Growth Award are:
1. A community can achieve a Tree City USA Growth Award if it qualifies as a Tree City USA for at least the second consecutive year.
2. Complete activities in eligible categories. Eligible activities fall into one of four categories, and each activity has an associated point value.