West Des Moines, IA
Home Menu217 Fifth Street
Evaluation:
This is a contributing Fifth Street building within the historic district. This substantial Modern style block dominates this part of the district.
District Characteristic |
Yes |
No |
Findings/Recommendations |
Two-story brick with narrow mass |
|
X |
|
Larger, broader massing |
X |
|
|
Other key façade features |
X |
|
|
Architectural style |
X |
|
Modern style |
Prominent location |
X |
|
The building itself is prominent but it is associated with substantial buildings across the street. |
Original façade materials |
X |
|
|
Upper fenestration pattern |
X |
|
|
Sympathetic Storefront Infill |
X |
|
|
Brick corbelled parapet |
X |
|
|
Cornice/coping (not metal) |
X |
|
|
Physical Description:
This stone veneered two-story is Moderne in style. It measures 50 feet by 136 feet. The facade has a central entry that is flanked by engaged fluted quarter-round columns. Twin storefronts with corner entries flank this opening. Three rectangular window sets are on the upper front. The facade is veneered with rectangular limestone slabs. The cornice is not elaborated and the coping is of brick. The original upper windows were Chicago style windows. Notably the upper facade retains the original carved inscription.
Documented Alterations:
The regrettable window replacements consist of four 1/1 metal sash set in a row. The back of the building has been completely remodeled with a porte cochere. Permits note remodeling by West Des Moines Parks Dept. 1976; electrical and heating work 1985, the community center conversion cost $570,000 and entailed the removal of interior walls and the installation of a sprinkler system, Covenant Construction Services the contractor. Second floor mechanical renovation, $10,000, OPN architect, Edge Commercial contractor.
$131,000 cost by Edge Commercial, unspecified, 1910. Flood damage repair $129,000 by Koester Construction. Elevator installation by Brocon Services, $58,000, 1993.
Commercial History:
The West Des Moines American Legion Drum and Bugle Corps envisioned this building 20 years before it was built and began to raise money1947 and the group obtained ownership of the lot in early April 1940. Two frame residences were demolished in 1940 (Express, May 9, 1940). The site was where the World War II honor roll memorial had been erected and remained as of early 1947 when the back of the lot was offered as a public parking lot (Express, January 30, 1947). Architects of Des Moines prepared an initial design with a facade that was along the lines of the actual building. Robert N. Nelson, employed by Brooks Borg Architects, prepared the final plans, dated June 4, 1949, under his own name. Lack of government approval delayed building and all new plans were developed in. This building, contained two small storefronts. The legion hall was upstairs and kitchen, club and dining rooms were downstairs. Garmer and Stiles were the general contractor with a $69,000 building cost (Express, July 14, 28, August 4, November 3, 1949; January 19, February 9, 1950). Sub-contractors and suppliers included the J. C. White Concrete Co., Drake Roofing, O'Dea Hardware, Groves Sheet Metal, Pittsburgh Des Moines Steel, Carr and Moehl millwork. The Legion gifted the building to the city as a community center in 1974 (Des Moines Register, July 11, 1972). This was the only commercial building that was suitably fire- resistant to qualify for air raid shelter purposes (Express, May 22, 1952). The building inscription curiously failed to credit the drum corps and confusion as to actual ownership would delay gifting the building to the city.
Office or Unlocated-storefront Tenants
Business |
Owner |
Start |
Stop |
Notes of Interest |
Valley Junction Activity Center |
|
1975 |
current |
Exterior library kiosk 2020 |
Lathermore Soap Company |
|
|
current |
|
Valley Junction Historical Foundation |
|
2000 |
|
|
Cement Local #281 |
|
1980 |
|
|
Golden Age Club |
|
1980 |
1995 |
|
Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen |
|
1980 |
|
|
WDM Community Center |
|
1980 |
1995 |
|
West Des Moines Park Commission |
|
1975 |
2000 |
|
Polk County Offices |
|
2000 |
|
|
Foster-Powell Dance Studio |
|
1980 |
1992 |
To Clive |
Strandberg Real Estate |
L. C. Sandberg |
1950 |
1968 |
And insurance, shares office with Anderson’s. |
Concor Income Tax |
|
1960 |
1970 |
|
Manpower Inc. |
|
1968 |
|
|
Premium Acceptance Corp. |
Carroll F. and Russell C. Anderson |
1951 |
|
Insurance premiums |
WDM Loan Company |
Same |
1950 |
|
Up to $300 personal loans |
South Storefront
Business |
Owner |
Start |
Stop |
Notes of Interest |
|
|
|
|
|
Morrissey’s Fine Jewelry |
|
1970 |
1985 |
217 Fifth |
Brown's Jewelry (1968). |
|
1965 |
1975 |
|
Flamingo Lounge (permit, 1965), |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
C & C Tap (permits, 1968) |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
North Storefront
Business |
Owner |
Start |
Stop |
Notes of Interest |
|
|
|
|
|
H&R Block |
|
1960 |
1970 |
Spring months only |
|
|
|
|
|
Assessor’s photo, August 4, 2014
Assessor’s photo, March 23, 2005
Assessor’s photo, February 28, 2000
Assessor’s photo, May 15, 1999
Vogel Survey, April 1998
Register, December 11, 1979
City acquires the building, Express, October 3, 1974
Register, May 8, 1974
Express, December 28, 1950
Des Moines Register, February 5, 1950